Friday, May 16, 2014

Running for Doughnuts in Portland!

Once again it is the Friday before race day and against my better judgement, I find myself running around like mad trying to get everything done so I can be on the road early tomorrow AM... but that doesn't change the fact that I AM SO EXCITED we are headed to Portland this weekend to run the Rock 'n' Roll Portland Half Marathon!

I loved this race last year, in fact it was my most favorite of all 16 half marathons in 2013!

The weather was perfect and the course was so neat! With 2 really cool bridges, exciting live music, and an gorgeous scenic route, you just can't beat this race! And with that, I'm going to share some of my favorite photos from last year because coincidentally I also think these are some of my best race photos. I've never gotten so many photos in a race, I wonder if it was the colorful outfit?

Checking out the view at the start line pre-race.
One of my favorite parts about this race is that the corrals were really small (about 100 people) and I stood at the front of mine so when we got to start I was at the front of the pack for a while and got a few really neat solo pictures. 
You also can't beat 2 really neat bridge crossings! The first bridge is normally only for vehicles so the ground is actually a metal surface and they had to put carpet down so people wouldn't slip. It was kind of a funny surface to run on, but wow I never thought I liked running on bridges (because there's usually an incline) until I came to Portland!
The finish line is right after you come off the second bridge (2nd picture) back into the downtown core and you get a birds-eye view of the crowd and everything before you run the final stretch. Once you see the Geico banners, you are pretty much finished!
This was nearly a PR for me in 2013 and though I'm not trying to beat any time goals this year, I just can't wait to do this race again! I hope Sunday is as much fun as last year!

If all else fails, there's always doughnuts right?!

Yep, that's right I'm going to stand in that line again, why? For these.
Enough said. See you soon Oregon.

6 comments :

  1. HAHA! More doughnuts! I am definitely going to have to sample a bacon variety one of these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an awesome race! Looking forward to reading your recap this time around. Oh, and doughnuts are ALWAYS worth waiting on line for!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your recap and pics! I'll be out there running the RnRPDX today too. Have a great race, Krista! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pictures! Hope you have a great race...so cool to run over bridges, isn't it? And the donuts look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Job! Love Portland. Did a Color Run there a few years ago and would love to do another race in that fabulous city. I nominated you for a Liebster Award. Check it out here: http://www.sarasrunning.com/2014/05/the-liebster-award-pt-1.html

    ReplyDelete