Thursday, September 24, 2015

Granola Energy Bars

We've had such a busy week, I can't believe it's Thursday! My sister got married last weekend so we were away for the weekend and everyone came back fighting some sort of flu. We were all doing okay until yesterday and I think it finally took over. Anyways, I've been wanting to create a granola bar recipe for a while and I thought we could all use a pick me up today. I would love to bake some sugary muffins or chow down on some white bread right now, but I know in the long run that won't make me feel any better. I love my power cookie recipe but these might just rival my favorite pre-race snack. I'll have to test it out on Saturday at Mudderella.

INGREDIENTS
3/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for baking dish
2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
2/3 cups of slivered or chopped almonds
1/3 cup of chopped pecans
1/3 cup of pumpkins seeds
1 or 2 tablespoons of flax seeds
Pinch of salt
1 cup of rice cereal
1/2 cup of raisins or dried cranberries
1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips
1/3 cup of creamy almond butter or other nut butter
1/4 cup of light brown sugar

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 325. Melt butter and 1/4 cup of honey in saucepan. Stir until butter melts.

In a bowl, combine oats, almonds, pecans, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, and salt. Combine with honey mixture and bake on baking sheet for 20 minutes or so, stirring occasionally. Let cool. Return to bowl and add rice cereal, raisins, and chocolate chips.

Line a 8-inch square baking pan with parchment and butter lightly. In a pan combine 1/2 cup of honey, almond butter, and brown sugar. Cook until mixture comes to a boil and sugar is dissolved. Pour over oat mixture and combine. Transfer to baking dish and using your hands or a spatula, press mixture down. Cool for 1 hour in fridge and then slice evenly into bars.
Note: I'm going to try omitting the sugar next time. I think the dark chocolate might be just enough.

No comments :

Post a Comment