Friday, May 2, 2014

May Goals

How is it May already? This is a tough one for me to write this month. I'm feeling a little at a loss in many aspects and it's been tough to really pinpoint more than one goal. So lets rewind a little bit and recap April first.

APRIL:
1. Finish the Las Vegas Mustang 50th Half with no pain and injury-free! 
Well I was mostly pain free. I did feel pain, but since we walked the majority of the last half of the race and chose to have fun instead of really race, it didn't so much matter. I hope for a little bit more of a serious output at BMO, but will just have to see how things go.

2. Read 3 books.
I read only 2 and that's all I really have to say about that right now... fail.

3. Continue to work on balance between Strength Training & Running.
I went to bootcamp on and off this month and though it was a positive experience and a GREAT deal I found on Groupon, the wheels definitely fell off the wagon after our vacation.

4. Learn how to garden.
By summer, we should have Broccoli, Peas, Beans, & Lettuce!
This has actually been a moderately successful experience. We started with the lawn, which was way more involved than I ever imagined. At our last house the lawn was a patch of grass about the size of a coffee table, so with almost an acre, things have definitely changed. We had someone come and rip up the moss with a special tool who works in our neighborhood and then we had to rake it all up and remove it. Then I seeded, fertilized, and cut the remaining grass. That was about 3 weeks ago, it's finally starting to grow back, but with lots of weeds, so I will have to work on that! Next, I planted my vegetable garden, some strawberries, rhubarb, and a bed with gladiolis for some cut flowers in the summer!
I had managed to plant some tulip bulbs back in the fall and some other things, so I was pleased to see those! I've still got some work to do with the grapes I think and a few other flower beds/cleanup.


MAY:
1. Try to pace Brandi (and myself) to a sub 2:27 BMO Half Marathon
This is a random goal that I wasn't anticipating, so I really hope my foot behaves and it works out. Normally, it wouldn't be an issue at all (with a PR of 2:08 and a relatively consistent sub 2:20), but the way things have been going I am mildly concerned. Either way, it's always fun to run with a friend so I'm so happy we get to do another race together!

2. Just enjoy the rest of my May races.
I will have 2 other races in May and my goal for now is to just enjoy and have fun and of course finish uninjured. It looks like my June race schedule might change so I'm just trying to focus on May for now and be happy with that, more on that next week.

3. Finish my surgical chapter and start my practicum.
This is obviously something I haven't talked about much, but I am so close (sort of) to finishing school and doing my practicum which will hopefully get me a job. I just have this one GIANT chapter to get through. It's supposed to take 2 months and I'm hoping to complete it in 1 month.

That's all for now folks. My usual goals will continue including drinking more water, reading, trying to consistently run, and gardening, amongst other things.

What are your goals this month?

6 comments :

  1. I love gardening! It's so exciting pulling your own vegetables and then eating them! Good luck with all of your May goals! I haven't set any real goals, but I want to add more speedwork and hill repeats to my running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cecilia, I CANNOT wait for Summer and all those vegetables. All we had last year were grapes but I think this year we will have a much better harvest :) Good luck with your goals and happy running!

      Delete
  2. Have fun tomorrow! Run strong. One goal this month is ... no wine! I've been drinking a little too much lately :) My coworker and I bought a garden plot so we will be gardening for the first time here in Alberta (We're both from Ontario). So that's exciting and we hope to start planting by the May long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crystal. I don't drink that often but I love a glass of wine on the weekend with dinner so that would be a tough one for me as well!

      Hope your gardening goes well and your weather turns more spring-like soon!

      Delete
  3. What are you going to school for? Fingers crossed you can get it done in a month and find a position :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technically I've already gone to Emily Carr University and received a diploma from Vancouver Film School. Now that I'm a mom though, I had to find something I could do from home, so I've been studying medical transcription. Thanks Leigh!

      Delete