Tuesday, March 25, 2014

I'm BACK baby!

So I finally went for a run and the verdict is... no pain! I'm baaacckk!
I'm trying not to celebrate too much yet, as it was only 5 kilometers and I have a lot of mileage in front of me still...
But here's my plan moving forward:

1. This injury has humbled me and reminded me how fragile our bodies actually are. I will certainly be paying a lot more attention to recovery and prevention than I ever did before.

2. I've decided to listen to the doctor and downgrade to the half at BMO so I don't damage myself for the Calgary full marathon. As he put it, I could probably run a half marathon in my sleep at this point... well I don't know about that, but yes it's lot simpler than a full marathon at this point. This will give me the time I need to work up to the full distance again safely.

3. Going forward, what training schedule am I following?
A modified schedule for Calgary Full Marathon on June 1st with 3 half marathons and a trail race in the mix! See below for the latest addition!

4. Blogging has opened up lots of great opportunities over the last year, but one really exciting one has been being part of the Rock 'n' Blog team for the Oasis Rock 'n' Roll Vancouver Half Marathon & Cunningham Seawall 10k. Today, they announced that runners who complete their Portland, Seattle, & Vancouver events will be eligible for a new limited edition medal called the Cascadia medal and guess what? I'm doing all 3... commence happy dance NOW! I had already planned to do Seattle and obviously Vancouver, but Portland is my latest addition!

I will receive a total of 7 medals for completing 3 races, can you say WOW! Here's a peek at a few of them below! Rock 'n' Roll Seattle & Rock 'n' Roll Vancouver have yet to reveal their medals...





15 comments :

  1. Injuries are awful! I am glad you ran pain-free! Now the trick: to ease back into things to prevent re-injury!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for your first run back! That's awesome!
    I wish I lived on the coast so I could do Seattle and Portland, but traveling from Calgary is just too much. Boo. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea it's definitely more convenient but just think after Calgary marathon, you get to go home to your own bed and I have to get on a plane.... >_<

      Delete
  3. It is SUCH a good feeling! I'm going through my return after being unable to run (barely even could walk!) because of pain. Definitely hard to work back in slowly but...baby steps!!
    Glad you're back at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! Good to hear that you are doing better also!

      Delete
  4. Hey Krista!
    I have been reading your blog for the last month or so. My friend (who is friends with your sister-in-law (I think!)) sent me your blog. You are super inspirational! I am in awe of all your running :)
    I have been thinking of doing all three races as well. I am already signed up for the Vancouver Rock n Roll half in October. How would you end up with seven medals?!!! The three from the races...The Pacific Peaks and the Cascadia medals (make it 5?).
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will also get 2 heavy medals including the Rock Encore (for completing any 2 Rock 'n Roll races) as well as the Triple Crown (for completing any 3 Rock 'n' Roll races)! It's a better haul than a Disney race! I loved Portland & Seattle last year and I'm so stoked about Vancouver, congrats on signing up! And many thanks for following along my blog!

      Happy Running!

      Delete
    2. Oh and just in case you are unaware, make sure to REGISTER to receive your heavy medals, it's a separate process now. All the info is on the Rock 'n' Roll website!

      Delete
    3. Oh wow! Cool :) Thanks for the info!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Yuri! Your injury prevention post the other day was awesome! Happy training!

      Delete
  6. Welcome back! Ready 1-2-3! Points #1, #2 & #3 sound like a good solid plan. Good luck with your recovery and see you June 1!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back :) you can really achieve a high level of fitness in short amount of time

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for being back running!!! If you are dropping down to the half at BMO then we will definitely have to go for slurpies again after the race!

    ReplyDelete