Thursday, April 17, 2014

Preamble to the Vegas Mustang 50th Anniversary Half Marathon

Tomorrow we're off to Vegas for my race on Saturday. I have mixed feelings about it. My foot pain comes and goes and though I'm pretty confident I can finish the half marathon, I'm starting to get really nervous about the marathon distance in June for Calgary. Speaking of which, the deadline to switch distance is tonight at midnight (in case you need to)... Every time I run now, that's in the back of my mind.

The pain in my foot seems to have migrated into the back of my ankle, where I'm starting to wonder is maybe where it really began, and perhaps the arch pain was a result of continuing to run on it or overcompensation. Anyways, there's not much I can do about it at this point, except continuing to focus on recovery and running smart. I think the timing for this injury is what perplexes me the most. Sometimes I feel like I can only be good at one thing at one time if that makes sense. Lately I've been more focused on school because I haven't been enjoying running as much because of the pain, which I suppose isn't entirely terrible, since I need to finish it. Also, it could be a lot worse, as my foot actually seems to be managing the half distance before becoming excruciatingly painful, so I'm definitely counting my blessings in that respect. That's a huge improvement since LA.

Mostly I'm looking forward to a vacation with Cody. We have a really busy Summer coming up with friends getting married and my practicum for school, so this will be our main vacation this year other than hopefully some camping and I think we both need the time away together.

Other than the race, I don't have any plans to run. Supposedly, it's set to be 30+ degrees or high 80's Fahrenheit. Personally, I do not run well in those temperatures, but hopefully because the race is so early in the morning we will be able to beat the heat...

Do you have any exciting plans for the Easter long weekend? Any suggestions for what to do in Vegas? We are seeing a couple of shows, but so far that's it.


2 comments :

  1. Eat! I love eating in Vegas because good food is everywhere! If you have time, the light show on Fremont Street is really cool too. I hope you have a great trip and enjoy a fun run. Can't wait to read all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. vegas!!!! cant wait to hear all about it! xx ANd lets hope that nagging foot/ankle smartens up!

    ReplyDelete