Thursday, May 8, 2014

Calgary Marathon - The FINAL Update.

Last week I wrote this post and I was feeling okay about it, I really was. Then I started talking about it with my family more and more. Finally, I sat down to book my flight, I looked at the price and I thought what am I doing?!?

As much as it pains me to say it, I will not be going to Calgary in a few weeks to run in any capacity. I wanted so badly to run this amazing Canadian race and add it to my marathon list, especially when I was asked to be part of the blogging team. But when it really came down to it, spending that much on a 'racecation' when my foot is still not 100% isn't going to be worth it. Plus, as you might have read, it lines up directly with the time I should be taking my final exam for school before my practicum. The timing just isn't on my side this year. On top of all that, I'd be going alone. As much as I like to think of myself as an independent person, there's something about having a family member or a friend there with you when you're running a race out of town and because of other unforeseen obligations, it turns out that I'd be flying solo. The great people who organize this race have ever so generously extended the invitation for me to once again be part of the team in 2015 and I cannot thank them enough for that. I hate the idea of letting anyone down, it's just not who I am, but sometimes things just don't go as planned.

I hate to end things on a sad note, so I'd like to recap a little bit where everyone else is at 3 weeks out on the SCM Forerunner team:
(Some of the Forerunners provided personal recaps for me to share and for the others I wrote a little something but please check out their personal blogs for more information!)

Michelle is in great shape and feeling energized after her most recent half marathon. This past weekend she went out and ran through the snow in Calgary (yes in Spring!) for 36 km. Way to go Michelle. Click on the link to read more!

"I'm training for the full, using the Hanson Method. Peak kms are about 1/3 more than I've ever done before. Left calf is a little sore, but manageable. Legs feel strong and fast yet also tired and heavy. Not exactly sure what it all means, but I usually don't know how things are going until the finish line. Part of the fun perhaps?" - Peter

"My final month of training for the Calgary Marathon 50k Ultra Marathon has been a whirl-wind of high mileage, food (lots of it) and testing new products/gear. Just a few weeks ago I was offered a bib to participate in the sold out 70.3 Calgary Ironman, a coworker convinced me that this was an excellent idea. The next thing I knew I was counting down the weeks until my very first triathlon, which is only 7 weeks post first ultramarathon! I promptly hired a coach and have been thrown into an even more intense training program to get ready for both events. I have to admit that I'm really enjoying the change in pace and different workouts. My legs are exceptionally happy these days.
I attended the Calgary Marathon medal and t-shirt reveal at Eau Claire market and was not disappointed in this years swag! If anything I'm motivated by shiny things and lets just say, this years bling is HOT. This is going to be the best year to run the Calgary Marathon and I'm so excited to experience the excitement of race day with thousands of my fellow running friends. My body feels strong and my mind will get there as soon as the snow is gone!" - Lindsay
Crystal is an avid cross-fitter and was feeling some nerves about the upcoming race last week, but this week she's back at it with strength and a solid training plan for the remaining time.

Leigh Debenham @ The Best Thing Is Love
 Leigh has also unfortunately suffered a knee injury and won't be running the Calgary marathon this year. I have so enjoyed reading her blog over the last few months and will continue to do so, definitely worth a read!

Lindsey Allen @ Captured and Exposed
Lindsey takes some truly gorgeous photos and shares them on her blog, she is also an active member of the Calgary community. Check out her blog for updates on her training!

 Tina Garstad @ Fabulosi-T
I recently had the pleasure of meeting Tina in person for the first time! Our training philosophies are very similar and I can't wait to virtually cheer her on through her 3rd Marathon! She is feeling strong heading into one of her longest training runs this weekend. Just this past Sunday, she completed her 28th Half Marathon, way to go Tina!
Tina and I meeting up this past weekend!
Karen Cooksley @ All Downhill From Here
 Karen is currently recovering from an injury, check out all the proactive things she is doing to heal and move forward on her blog!

 Terry is powering through marathon training with 80+ km weeks! She has recently been doing Yasso 800s, a form of speed work that I have yet to try. I look forward to seeing how it relates to her marathon time, though I have confidence that she is going to do awesome!

 Martin recently ran 630 miles around the coast of England, WOW, truly an inspiration! To make his journey even more incredible, he has raised more than a half a million $ for charity and has also written a book about his experience.

The Calgary Marathon medals were also recently revealed and they sure are grand! I can't wait to get my belt buckle one day, hopefully next year!
Although, as I say, I am disappointed about not being able to take part in the event this year, especially being the 50th anniversary, I am so confident in the rest of the blogging team and I can't wait to read about their races!

Will you be at the Calgary Marathon this year? What are you most looking forward to?

10 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. I would really love that Lisa! Can't wait for you to do a full marathon, you're going to do awesome :)

      Delete
  2. I so wish that I could be running it! :( And sorry again to hear that you won't be able to. Next year- you have a place to stay and someone to cheer you on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leigh. I would love to meet everyone and to run this race so I'm happy I'm able to postpone it until next year. All the best to you and I love your blog! <3

      Delete
  3. I think you have made the right decision but I know it was a hard one! Get healthy first, there are so many races to do in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Krista,
    This is some of what I emailed you but I'm not sure you received:

    First, I’m so sorry to hear you won’t be coming to Calgary. I was really looking forward to meeting you, my fellow ForeRunner! I’m so sorry to hear about your foot too. I know it has been nagging you for a while. Good luck with school. It sounds like you are a very busy girl! See you in 2015 for the Calgary Marathon when it’s all better.

    Second, congratulations on your Vancouver race! It’s so cool you and Tina got to meet. I really want to meet you all some day but the cost of travel this year just isn’t in my budget.

    Good luck on your exams and happy trails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I did get your email, I apologize for not responding sooner, I've been crazy busy rearranging plans and dealing with school etc, no excuse though. Your support means a lot and one of my biggest regrets not doing the race is that I won't be able to meet everyone!

      I've followed your training and you're going to great out there! I look forward to meeting you sometime in the future. All the best :)

      Delete
  5. I am sooo sad you are missing out this year...but waiting a year might just be the ticket for you!! Thank you for making my birthday special and I ha an absolute BLAST with you!!!! Get healthy. And cant wait to see you in October!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina, I'm sad too, but you'll just have to do with me another year won't you?

      Can't wait to have another rendezvous in October with you! Definitely bigger plans for a blogger meetup!

      Delete